<span class="highlight">Trak</span> <span class="highlight">Shak</span> Cable Brakes with wiring????

Submitted: Monday, Jul 21, 2008 at 13:14
ThreadID: 59980 Views:2951 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi there,

Have recently purchased a 10 year old TrakShak. Thought it was fitted with fairly standard cable brakes setup but was surprised to notice wiring connected into each brake drum running through the trailer to the 9 pin plug.
I haven't had the chance to poke around in the drum yet but could be there is a hybrid cable/electric brake setup or is it pretty standard to have an electric setup still have the cable and handbrake attached to manually activate at the front of the trailer???

I have an electric controller installed in the my 100 Series and was possibly planning to change to a 5 stud drum (the trailer came with the 6 stud drum). If it already has electric brakes I might just leave it as is and see how it goes.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Matthew C - Monday, Jul 21, 2008 at 13:23

Monday, Jul 21, 2008 at 13:23
I have a 2008 Trak Shak with same setup, very common setup with elec driving brakes and cable parkbrake.

MAtt
AnswerID: 316319

Reply By: Ray - Monday, Jul 21, 2008 at 15:27

Monday, Jul 21, 2008 at 15:27
Yes. Mine is the same. Cable parking brakes and electric service brakes. Does your coupling have a slide on it, like an overrun, or is it solid? If it is solid the cable brakes are for parking only and the electric brakes are service brakes.
AnswerID: 316337

Follow Up By: floppinab - Tuesday, Jul 22, 2008 at 10:27

Tuesday, Jul 22, 2008 at 10:27
Hi Ray and thanks for all other replies.

Yeah it has the coupling slide which is leading to my confusion. Does it make sense to have both?????
FollowupID: 582783

Reply By: Member - Bucky (VIC) - Monday, Jul 21, 2008 at 17:58

Monday, Jul 21, 2008 at 17:58
Floppinab

Congrats on the Trak Shak....... We love ours, a 2001 model..

Legal side of things I suppose...... anything over 750 kg's
( in Mexico ) has to have electric brakes... and that's their tare weight (before you load it up)

I remove plug when reversing.... then it's back to the "bump brake", but they do not work in reverse.. but can be handy if in situations where you have to back up a bit and go forward .. ie A Simpson Desert crossing, may require a couple or 3 goes at some of the bigger dunes.

The lever is the park brake.... I also use this one when getting the Trak Shak out of the shed, into the laneway,, it's slightly down hill, and they are a real pain to stop, just by pushing against momentum.

The "trakky" can be controlled easily, with the lever brake when situation arises, say if you decide to unhook, slightly uphill, chock the wheels ( safety ) go for a drive somewhere.. When you get back you can just park up.. and it will easily spin around the next day, after you pack up, giving you an easy hook up..

Gotta love that

Cheers

Bucky

AnswerID: 316358

Reply By: floppinab - Tuesday, Jul 22, 2008 at 13:29

Tuesday, Jul 22, 2008 at 13:29
Hi Ray and thanks for all other replies.

Yeah it has the coupling slide which is leading to my confusion. Does it make sense to have both?????
AnswerID: 316527

Sponsored Links